Friday, February 5, 2010

Out running the snow

With the new storm threatening the DC and points south, I decided it would be best to get into DC prior to evil precipitation. Sadly, that means not getting to see my friend Celeste in Akron but I'm just not the wild thing I was in my youth and driving through ice and snow no longer holds any appeal. Especially if there are mountains involved. So I blasted out of Indy early yesterday and pulled into DC early evening. Take that nasty snow!



I've had three lovely nights on the road so far. First night was spent with Lynn and Karen who set the standard high for welcoming hospitality. Despite a pulpy, soggy log trying to put a damper on the night, the good conversation and fine cuisine blazed beyond the retardant fire. Thank you both for such a welcome and send off for my journey.

From central IL I journeyed to central IN. Yes, the home of the Colts. Caryl and Brady lived up to the standard set by their Illinois counterparts. Hospitality abounded and other than some really shady Cribbage playing (:-LOL) I had a fabulous time. Thank you both for sharing your home and your art with this adventurer. AND YOUR COFFEE!!!


I am now in DC. Because of the winter storms that we're all experiencing, it has proved to be a wise decision to beeline into DC. It started coming down gently here about 2 this afternoon but has increased in density and volume steadily. The forecasts as I drove in last night were from 6 to 10 inches. Now they're saying we could get as much as two feet. FEET!! Have I ever mentioned that I HATE WINTER???? And my true destination for this leg of Seeking Home is North Carolina. Looks like it may be mid-next week before the roads will be open throughout the state so much of what I was hoping to see will be set aside in the interest of safety and warmth. My deepest desire, which is to walk on a beach, is going to be so weirdly subverted. Walking on the beach in boots and parka is not what I was aiming for.

Gotta' love the forecast here: NEAR 100% chance of snow. HELLO! Honestly, that has been the forecast all afternoon here in DC. Straight talk from your nations capitol. But the DC wonderland is offering a beautiful backdrop for chilling out and enjoying the company of a dear friend. And thanks to my Illinois benefactors, I've got lots of good books to fill the extra time after putting together the bookcases that we risked our lives to buy this afternoon.


Life is good. May it be with all of you also.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you made it to DC. Wondered when I heard the weather, thought you might be stuck somewhere in between. Enjoy your visit and say hi for me.
    If you run longer than expected I am sure Marybeth could stop by take care of Zory.

    ReplyDelete